WORKING GROUP MEMBERS
The eight members of the EMEE consortium established eight workgroups composed of other museums, associations, individual experts and other projects. The members of the workgroups were interested in the whole project and its results and worked closely together with the consortium.
The following institutions are workgroup members:
Archaeology Museum Dijon
The Archaeology Museum in Dijon is one of the best museums in the city. It is home to massive collection of rare artefacts that have been collected from across the region and across the world. There are Celtic pieces that have been dated as far back as 950 BC as well as weapons, coins and ceramics from Roman times. The oldest part of the museum was built in the 11th Century. The collection is very popular with local people and visitors, attracting a good crowd throughout the year.
Dijon’s Archaeological museum displays many culturally and historically significant artefacts including Celtic jewellery, items from the Romanesque period, Gothic items and more. One of the museum’s most prized objects is the bronze representation of the goddess Sequana, which dates back to the 1st century AD.
Dijon Archaeological Museum
Rue Docteur Maret
Phone: (+33) 3 80 48 83 70
Fax: (+33) 3 80 48 83 71
Main contact person: Christian Vernou
Armenian Genocide Museum & Institut
The Armenian Genocide Museum & Institute (AGMI) is a non-profit organization based in Yerevan, Republic of Armenia.
The objectives of the Museum are as follows:
- to promote the collection, study and presentation of the visual textual materials, including also artifacts, related to the life of the Western Armenians in the Ottoman Empire before and during the Genocide;
- to develop more effective cooperation and collaboration among organizations worldwide involved in the research of genocide, particularly Armenian Genocide;
- to create and develop and academic institution on Genocide Studies in the Republic of Armenia;
- to raise international awareness among the international community on the first Genocide of the 20th century defined initially as ‘a crime against humanity’;
- to preserve and honor the Tsisternakaberd memorial complex of Genocide victims and the Tisernakaberd park.
The Armenian Genocide Museum and Institute
Tsitsernakaberd memorial complex, RA
Armenia Yerevan 0028
Phone: (+374 10) 39 09 81
Fax: (+374 10) 39 10 41
Main contact person: Hayk Demoyan
The Art Collections and Museums Augsburg combine the Roman Museum with the urban archaeology, the Maximilianmuseum, the Schaezlerpalais with the German Gallery of Baroque, the Collection of prints and drawings, the Mozart House, the New Gallery at the Höhmann Building as well as the H2-Centre for Contemporary Art in the Glass Palace. All institutions are situated in historic houses protected as historic monuments, which were reshaped as museums.
The Roman Museum offers a profound overview on Roman history and civilization in the region of Bavarian Swabia. Currently it is hosted by the former Armoury of Augsburg. The Maximilianmuseum is the parent house of the Art Collections and Museums Augsburg. It exhibits world-class arts and crafts as well as sculptures made in Augsburg. In 2007 it was awarded the Bavarian Museums Award.
The Schaezlerpalais houses the municipal collections of paintings and graphics as well as the administration of the Art Collections and Museums Augsburg. Highlight is the Rococo ballroom, which is still conserved in its original condition from 1767.
The Mozart House informs about the music of both father and son Mozart and about their journeys through Europe.
The H2-Center for Contemporary Art in the Glass Palace is Augsburg’s municipal museum for contemporary art. Exhibitions on current art are also shown in the New Gallery in the Höhmann House.
Kunstsammlungen und Museen Augsburg
Phone: (+49) 821 324 4106
Main contact person: Dr. Tilo Grabach
Art-exprim is a non-profit association. Questioning the relationship between work of art, artist, publics and territory, it supports since 15 years art creation, production and distribution, in the public space and within its walls. It defends diversity of artistic languages and mediums. Art-exprim develops, in the public space, active mediation schemes which facilitate a coming-together of publics who reputedly have little access to culture and artists. The association provides also a creative laboratory within its walls, offering the opportunity for a wider public to fully express its creativity. In order to expose children and teenagers to contemporary creation, it also interacts with Parisian schools.
89, rue Marcadet
Phone: (+33) 01 42 62 18 08
Main contact person: Sandrine Montagne
The Association Welcome People&Arts is a non-profit association that develops and promotes cultural, artistic, educational and sporting activities as an instrument of social integration and inclusion.
Looking for a more united and solidary world through talents, this association’s mission is to develop and promote cultural and artistic activities as a means of personal development and social inclusion. The AWPA believes in five principles: everyone has talent; all individuals prosper; cultural diversity is an asset; art is a key to a better education and culture is a tool for communication.
Thus, developing innovative integration projects using art activities with local communities, this association conducts workshops and training sessions that promote social inclusion. Its aim is to develop community welfare and to help creating better societies, emphasizing the essence of each individual.
AWPA – Associação Welcome People & Arts
Rua da Saudade, n.º 23 – 4º Esq.
Phone: (+351) 968995197
Main contact person: Comandante Pedro Miranda de Castro
Baths of Diocletian (Terme di Diocleziano)
The Baths of Diocletian (Terme di Diocleziano) are the most imposing thermal complex ever built in Rome. Erected between 298 and 306 AC, they spanned more than 13 hectares and could accommodate up to 3000 people at the same time, within a structure consisting of a series of environments such as gymnasia, libraries, a swimming pool of more than 3500 square metres and those rooms that were the heart of every thermal complex: the frigidarium (cold bath), the tepidarium (lukewarm bath) and the calidarium (hot bath). It was precisely these latter spacious rooms the ones converted by Michelangelo into the Basilica of Saint Mary of the Angels and the Christian Martyrs: in the other environments arose the Carthusian Monastery, conceived by the artist himself.
National Roman Museum – Baths of Diocletian
MuseoNazionale Romano – Terme di Diocleziano
Viale Enrico De Nicola79
Phone: (+39) 06 480201
Fax: (+39) 06 6787689.
Main contact person: Giuseppe Proietti
The National Centre for Art and Culture Georges Pompidou (CNAC-GP) is a public administrative institution (EPA) under the guardianship of the ministers for culture.
The missions are:
To contribute to the enrichment of the nation’s cultural heritage;
- Inform and educate the public;
- Disseminate artistic creation;
- Contribute to social communication;
- Advise on request local authorities and all private and public organizations, particularly in the architectural field;
- Operate and animation, in conjunction with private and public organizations associated with it, a cultural complex devoted to all forms of artistic creation
Phone: (+33) 1 44 78 49 17
Main contact person: Claire Couffy
The Centro Português de Geo-História e Pré-História (CPGP), founded in october 1993, was established as an association in 1995. Its aim is to develop research and to disseminate its main scientific fields: Portuguese Geo-History and Prehistory.
It develops its work around two major areas: scientific research in Paleontology and Archeology (field, office and laboratory research; collaboration with other institutions’ research works and partnerships with other organizations through protocols); dissemination activities (exhibitions and conferences in schools, museums and other public institutions, as well as publications on its research areas).
In 2013, the CPGP opened the NIDAP (Núcleo de Investigação e Divulgação de Arqueologia e Paleontologia), through an agreement with the Municipality of Golegã, which provided CPGP the old facilities of a local school in the meanwhile converted into a space with a museum, a library and a research laboratory for Paleontology and Prehistoric Archeology.
Centro Português de Geo-História e Pré-História (CPGP)
Praceta Campo das Amoreiras, Lote 1 – 2.º O
1750 – 021 Lisboa
Phone: (+351) 962 997 654
Main contact person: Professor Silvério Figueiredo
City museum Marktoberdorf
The city museum Marktoberdorf offers visitors in 18 rooms and 380 square meters of exhibition space information illustrated in a clear and comprehensive way to make your museum visit a real experience. Here, history should not be perceived as a dead period of the past, but as an ongoing, living process.
With an illustration of Roman life near the village of Kohlhunden the visitor is introduced to the world of the Alemanni. Following the themes of ‘market rights’ and ‘the period of the Prince-Bishops in Oberdorf’, the emphasis is then on the Elector Clemens Wenzeslaus, showing his great influence on the market town around 1800.
More rooms show local developments in the 19th century, with art and religion, theater and music, as well as the impact of war, pestilence and hunger crises. The focus on handcraft and industry goes into detail about the Fendt tractor factory which has had a great influence on our town. A separate section is devoted to women’s work in the 19th century. A collection of historical clothing closes the visit to the museum.
City museum Marktoberdorf
Phone: (+49) 8342 4008 81
Fax: (+49) 8342 4008 65
Main contact person: Josephine Heddergott
Established in 1794, under the tutelage of the French ministry for education, the Conservatoire des arts et métiers (CNAM) is a leading institute for Sciences and Technology Teaching and adult training, for RTD in cooperation with industrial and research organizations, for science and technological knowledge dissemination with a worldwide collection.
Each year, the Museum of the CNAM runs three major exhibitions, almost 500 events and conferences and attracts 250 000 visitors of which 30 % are young Europeans. Visitors could participate to many pedagogical activities, as workhops and guided tour.
Conservatoire National des Arts et Métiers – Musée des arts et métiers
292 St Martin
Phone:(+33) 1 53 01 82 88
Fax:(+33) 1 53 01 82 34
Main contact person: Jamila Al Khatib
CoopCulture is the largest cooperative operating in the heritage and cultural activities sector in Italy.
CoopCulture is a qualified partner positioned to offer answers and solutions to the increasingly complex needs of a continuously evolving sector, from the perspective of integration between cultural heritage and territory and between culture, tourism and local economy.
With the intention of bringing diverse audiences closer to art, it has developed user paths differentiated by language and method, taking advantage of the potentials offered by new technologies and paying special attention to local communities in all of their aspects, families, young people, children, the elderly and immigrant communities.
Corso del Popolo 40
30172 Venezia Mestre
Phone: (+39) 041 0991100
Fax: (+39) 041 0991120
Main contact person : Giovanna Barni
Ensuring the widest possible accessibility of cultural heritage:
In order to include members of vulnerable social groups in museum work and following an initiative by the Ministry of Culture of the Republic of Slovenia we are developing the project ‘Accessibility of Cultural Heritage to Vulnerable Groups’.
The Slovene Ethnographic Museum is fully aware that this is one of the fundamental goals of national and European cultural policy. Therefore we systematically ensure the accessibility of programme content to the widest possible public.
The operation is partially financed by the European Union through the European Social Fund and the Ministry of Culture. The operation is implemented in the framework of the Operational Programme for Human Resources Development in the period 2007-2013, development priority Equality of opportunity and promotion of social inclusion, priority cultural and social inclusion.
The institutional coordinator of the project is Slovene Ethnographic museum. Six other national museums are participating in the project.
Projekt Dostopnost/ Accessibility project
Slovene Ethnographic Museum
Metelkova ulica 2
Phone: (+386) 01 / 300 87 81
Fax: (+386) 01 / 30 08 736
Main contact person: Eva Rožanc
Espace 36 is an art association, a place for creating and disseminating contemporary art with the focus on building public awareness. The primary objective is to support artists’ practice in their research and production of contemporary art (multidisciplinary: photography – video – sound – installations….), to make this process accessible to the public and to create sociocultural links with the surrounding areas. Welcoming the public and ensuring they can engage with the exhibitions is the basis of our audience development mission. An exchange which enriches both artist and public consists not in ‘explaining’ the work to visitors, but in leading them towards discovering their own impressions and emotions by providing key points of reflection to guide them through the work.
Espace 36 association d’art contemporain
36 rue Gambetta
Phone: (+39) (0)3 21 88 93 70
Main contact person : Benoît Warzée
The Folk Museum Rogaška Slatina is a private collection of Rogaška Slatina resident Nani Poljanec, who established the museum on the cult of his personality and interests. A performer, impersonator, manager, journalist, “etno pomp” artist, fashion designer, culinary ethnologist, poet, singer, photographer, culture manager, and collector, Poljanec has built his museum collection around his personal and family history and the early 20th-century history of the very famous Spa of Rogaška Slatina. In those times a lot of prominent guests enjoyed their retreats and health treatments there and left their mark on local people. In 2012 the museum moved in the newly built Anin dvor [Ana’s Mansion] where the visitors can finally enjoy a permanent display.
Folk Museum of Rogaška Slatina/ Ljudski muzej Rogaška Slatina
Anin dvor Rogaška Slatina, Cvetlični hrib 1a
3250 Rogaška Slatina
Phone: (+386) 41 704 075
Main contact person: Nani Poljanec
Fédération des réseaux et associations d’artistes plasticiens
La FRAAP is a federation that brings together networks, associations and non-governmental organization of visual artists around the common goal of a better professional structuration of this sector of activity.
Those associations are frequently underestimated despite the remarkable work they perform and the networking they provide to the entire sector of contemporary art.
Even if they can have different sizes and activities, some characteristics can be distinguished:
- They are managed by artists who work together towards a real implantation of contemporary art in their territories.
- They embody the success of collective and organized work to invent and reinvent original ways to produce and show visual arts
- With all their teams (employees and volunteers), they structure and professionalize new places to show art, new ways of creating and in this way provide a constant help to the artists and to the creation in all its diversity.
Their main activities are: organisation of events and exhibitions; organisation of symposium, debates and meetings; publishing (catalogues, brochures, artists books, CD rom…); organisation of working groups, classes, training courses; cultural projects coordination; artists-in-residence programs; school presentations; legal aids for the artists…
FRAAP – Fédération des réseaux et associations d’artistes plasticiens
Cité Joly 4
Phone: (+33) 6 51 64 79 77
Main contact person: Pascal Pesez, Laurent Moszkowicz
GNAM (National Gallery of Modern Art)
The GNAM (National Gallery of Modern Art), established in 1883 for the purpose of documenting the ‘living’ art is nowadays a museum with two souls, just like two are the centuries it deals with: the 19th and the 20th.
On the one hand,its important collections mirror the cultural events of the unitary Italian State also with their international reflections, on the other hand they are the great historical reserve of the Italian contemporary art system.
With its neoclassical and Romantic paintings and sculptures, it marks a dramatic change from the glories of the Renaissance and ancient Rome. Its 75 rooms house the largest collection of works by 19th- and 20th-century Italian artists including Giacomo Balla, Umberto Boccioni, Giorgio de Chirico, Giovanni Fattori, Amedeo Modigliani and others.
GNAM (National Gallery of Modern Art)
Viale delle Belle Arti 131
Phone: (+39) 06 322981
Fax: (+39) 06 322 15 79
Main contact person: Pier Luigi Mattera
The Museum of Kamnik was established on 4 December 1961. In 2003 the municipality of Komenda, Trzin and Kamnik established the Intermunicipal museum of Kamnik. The museum have three units: the museum which is placed in the Zaprice castle, the Miha Maleš Gallery and the Birth place of Rudolf Maister. Our collections could be seen on permanent and temporary exhibitions and in exhibition centres in the co-founding municipalities – Trzin and Komenda. The Museum manages also publishing of invitations, posters, brochures, catalogues, different monographs etc. Andragogical and pedagogical activities at the Museum are tailored to visitors of any age and interest (children workshops, lectures, guidance). With all its programmes the Museum provides the members of community with experience of discovering our cultural heritage and learning about history, art and everyday life, whereas the school groups may variegate and supplement their educational program.
Intermunicipal museum of Kamnik/ Medobčinski Muzej Kamnik
Muzejska pot 3
Phone: (+386) 1 8317 647 or (+386) 1 8317 662
Main contact person: Zora Torkar
La Maison de la Bataille is a museum about the Battle of Cassel. The museum stands near Mount Cassel (7 km). Its aim is to showcase Flemish culture from France which makes it unique.
1677: The army troops of William III of Orange, stadtholder of the United Provinces, who were getting ready to deliver Saint-Omer, were stopped in their tracks by the French garrisons stationed on the strategic site of the Cassel plain.
Maison de la Bataille
200 rue de la Mairie
Phone: (+33) 3 28 40 67 36
Fax: (+33) 3 28 43 06 80
Main contact person: Jocelyne Willencourt
The General Direction for Education and Research coordinates, develops and evaluates educational and research programmes in the areas of interest of the MIBACT (Ministry of Cultural Heritage and Activities and Tourism). To this purpose, among other activities, it coordinates the Educational Services in the Ministry institutes and prepares every year, together with the Consiglio Superiore dei Beni culturali, the national plan for education to cultural heritage.
MiBACT Direzione Generale Educazione e Ricerca
via Milano, 76
Phone: (+39 06 48 29 1203
Main contact person: Dr. Martina De Luca
Moderna galerija (MG+MSUM) is Slovenia’s national museum of modern and contemporary art, based in Ljubljana. It operates as two separate units: Moderna galerija/the Museum of Modern Art (MG+), and the Museum of Contemporary Art Metelkova (+MSUM). As a museum of modern art, Moderna galerija systematically researches, collects, and exhibits modernist art and art in the modernist tradition. It focuses primarily on Slovene art of the 20th century, starting with early modernism around 1900, and also on present-day artists who continue to work in traditions that follow modernist tendencies. As a museum of contemporary art, Moderna galerija fosters contemporary practices in visual art, presenting new themes and approaches to expressing, exhibiting, and interpreting contemporary art, compiling a permanent collection of 21st century art with regular purchases of works by Slovene artists, and adding to the international collection Arteast 2000+ by purchasing works of foreign artists.
Moderna galerija plus Museum of Contemporary Art Metelkova
Windischerjeva ulica 2
Phone: (+386) 1 2416 800
Fax: (+386) 1 2514120
Main contact person: Zdenka Badovinac
As an ancient royal residence, the Louvre is inextricably linked to eight centuries of French history. Designed in 1793 as a universal museum, its collection, among the best in the world, span many millennia and miles, from the Americas to Asia. Over 35,000 artworks are grouped into eight curatorial departments, including universally-admired works such as The Mona Lisa, The Winged Victory of Samothrace, and the Venus de Milo. With over 8.3 million visitors, the Louvre ranked as the world’s most visited museum in 2015
Musée du Louvre
Phone: (+33) 1 40 20 58 76
Main contact person: Cyrille Gouyette
Musei Provinciali di Gorizia is a regional museum exhibition spaces in two historic buildings from the 16th and 18th century. The museum has been founded in 1861 and it boasts with rich collections of the region whose importance spreads over the border which was established in the past century.
The main jewels of Musei Provinciali di Gorizia are the Pinacotheca with works of locally important authors but even world renowned names, originating from this region, such as Zoran Mušič; the museum of the Great War which reflects the story of the Isonzo front from the perspective of the town of Gorizia; the Museum of Applied Arts that boasts with the riches of local crafts such as silk production and fine lacemaking and an Archeological collection.
Musei Provinciali di Gorizia
Palazzo Attems Petzenstein
Piazza De Amicis 2
Phone: (+39) 0481 547499
Mail contact person: Alessandro Quinzi
The Museum of Rome in Trastevere, located in the seventeenth-century Convent of St. Egidio, hosts a permanent collection of paintings, graphics, installations and life-sized photographic prints, representing 18th to 20th century Rome. The collection exhibits the salient aspects of popular life in Rome, filtered through the tastes and convictions of the artists and folklorists who represented it. The major themes present in the collection are the costumes, the popular dances, the secular and religious festivals and the crafts. Part of the collection is composed by the series of watercolors entitled Roma Pittoresca di Ettore Roesler Franz. Painted between 1876 and 1897, they portray the parts of Rome invested by the urban and architectural renovation initiated by the Italian Government after 1870, to adapt Rome to the new role of capital city.
Beautiful and significant is the program of temporary exhibitions, that diplay the profound cultural transformations experienced by the city in recent years. These intiatives include multimedia, film and photography, with exhibitions conferences to maintain a constant dialogue with the social changes and their reflections on the visual arts and the media. The temporary exhibition ‘Dalla tradizione alla contemporaneità. Visioni dalla città che cambia’, displays the changes and continuities in Roman social life from the nineteenth century until the 1980s. The sections of the exhibition encompass the traditional costumes, religious rites, festivals and amusements such as the Carnival, the luminarie and folk dances, aspects of daily life through crafts and activities that could be observed in the city.
Museo di Roma in Trastevere
Phone: (+39) 06 5899359
Fax: (+39) 06 5884165
Main contact person: Silvana Bonfili
The institution Museum and Galleries of Ljubljana was established in 2009. It comprises the City Museum of Ljubljana and 7 other exhibition sites. Among the venues of MGML are also two important literary sites that honor two Slovenian literates: Oton Župančič Memorial Collection and Ivan Cankar Memorial Room. The Institute’s mission is to record, collect, document, valuate, preserve, interpret, study and present tangible and intangible heritage relating to the history of the City of Ljubljana and its wider surroundings from the Prehistoric Period until the present day, to conduct pedagogic, andragogic and promotional activities concerning the Institute’s operations, and related vocational training.
The Museum and Galleries of Ljubljana is a creative and modern institution with close links to its environment. By pursuing an internationally comparable programme, it paves the way for new concepts of museology and gallery work.
By offering a diverse and accessible programme oriented to quality, it outlines creative approaches to upgrading existing professional standards in this field. MGML is a place of synergy and learning, a platform offering new insights into our past, present and future. MGML’s audiences and collaborators both locally and abroad contribute to creating a museum and a gallery of the future.
Museum and Galleries of Ljubljana
Phone: (+386) 1 2412 500
Fax: (+386) 1 2412 540
Main contact person: Blaž Peršin
The Museo Arqueológico Provincial de Badajoz was created in 1867 by the Comisión Provincial de Monumentos (Provincial Monuments Commission). It was transferred to the central government management, in 1938, and then to the Comunidad Autónoma (Autonomous Community) one, in 1989.
Since 1867 the museum has worked continuously for the archaeology of the Província de Badajoz (Province of Badajoz), keeping and exposing the artifacts found throughout the whole province.
Concerning the building, its public area is located in the Palacio de los Duques de Feria – Condes de la Roca in the Alcazaba of Badajoz, a building which is partly from the 16th century and was completely renovated between 1970 and 1989.
Its collections, consisting of around twenty thousand registers in the museum’s inventory, are composed by artifacts found throughout the whole province of Badajoz. These items date from the Lower Paleolithic to the 19th century.
Museo Arqueológico Provincial de Badajoz
Plaza José Álvarez y Sáez de Buruaga s/n,
Phone: (+34) 924 00 19 08
Main contact person: Dr. Guillermo Kurz (Director)
Museum of Architecture and Design
The Museum of Architecture and Design (MAO) is a national Slovene museum for architecture, industrial and graphic design and photography. MAO collects and archives works from prominent architects, designers and photographers of the 20th and 21st centuries; from plans, sketches, and models for buildings to various kinds of furniture, small objects, appliances, posters, various kinds of printed materials, and photographs, constituting a rich history of creative ideas, vision and production. MAO organizes and shares this seemingly unlimited source of inspiration and exploration through its many exhibitions, guided tours, workshops, other diverse events and through its publications. In this unique environment where past, present and a desire to discover the new come together, MAO serves as a dynamic forum for the exchange of ideas, knowledge and dialogue for and among a wide range of visitors. Its premises are in the Fužine Castle, in the only still preserved Renaissance castle in Ljubljana.
Museum of Architecture and Design
Pot na Fužine 2
Phone: (+386) (0)1 5484 270
Fax: (+386) 01 540 03 44
Main contact person: Matevž Čelik
Founded in 1883 the Museum of Art and Cultural History Dortmund was the first municipal museum in the Ruhrgebiet. The collection came about solely as a result of public enthusiasm and dedication, the commitment of highly motivated city fathers and the first museum director Albert Baum of 1883. It rapidly grew too large for the rooms available. In 1983 the museum moved into the converted former headquarters of the city savings bank. The original building, one of the first steel and concrete buildings designed by Hugo Steinbach in art-déco style, dates back to 1924. It was modernised between 1997 and 2000 when the exhibition underwent a radical facelift in terms of content and presentation.
Because of its particular history the museum offers its visitors many specialist museums under a single roof. Seen overall, the various departments correspond harmoniously to form a museum of practical life. Thanks to the form of presentation it combines the characteristics of an art gallery and a ‘Wunderkammer’, enabling visitors to enjoy the beautiful side of life, to gaze in wonder at its exclusive features and to learn more about urban culture and history.
Museum of Art and Cultural History Dortmund
Phone: (+49) 0231 50-25522
Fax: (+49) 0231 50-25511
Main contact person: Dr. Gisela Framke
The Museo of Cáceres is located in the historic center, considered Human Heritage by UNESCO. The first museum board dates from 1917, but the concept was created in 1899, when a group of local history scholars began collecting archaeological and artistic objects.
The exhibitions are divided by different areas: the Casa de las Veletas (a Palace from the 16th century, probably built over an old Muslim fortress), which holds the Archaeology and Ethnography collections since 1931; the Casa de los Caballos (a former stable), where the collection of Fine Arts was placed in 1992; it also includes the Interpretative Center of the Maltravieso Cave, unique because of its prehistoric 30 clusters of 60 human handprints, discovered from 1951 on.
The Archaeological collection has got artifacts from the Lower Paleolithic to the Middle Ages and the Fine Arts exhibition shows art pieces from the 13th century to Contemporary Art.
Museo de Cáceres
Plaza de las Veletas, 1
Phone: (+34) 927 01 08 77
Main contact person: Dr. Juan M. Valadés Sierra (Director)
The Museum of European Cultures is concerned with European lifestyles and cultural encounters from the 18th century to the present day and is involved in research, collection, conservation, displays and teaching. The Museum is the result of the amalgamation in 1999 of the 110-year-old Museum of German Folklore and the European department of the Museum of Ethnology (est. 1873). With its approx. 280,000 exhibits the Museum boasts one of the largest collections devoted to daily culture and popular art in Europe.
Museum of European Cultures – National Museums Berlin/
Museum Europäischer Kulturen – Staatliche Museen zu Berlin
Im Winkel 8
Phone: (+49) 030 266 42 68 01
Fax: (+49) 030 266 42 68 04
Main contact person: Léontine Meijer-van Mensch
The seat of the Goriška regional museum is situated at the Renaissance Kromberk Castle near Nova Gorica. It houses an art history collection, an archeological collection a cultural history collection and a permanent exhibition of art mainly from the Goriška region.
The museum also manages several dislocated collections: the Dobrovo Castle hosts a permanent exhibition of the works of the painter Zoran Muršič and several temporary exhibitions; Medana holds the Memorial House of the poet Alojz Gradink; Ajdovščina offers exhibitions of fossils and the ancient Ajdovščina; the military watchtower in Vrtojba houses the smallest museum in the world. At the railway station of Nova Gorica it’s a small exhibition of the border in the period 1947-2004.
Museum of Goriška Region/ Goriški muzej
Grajska cesta 1, Kromberk
5000 Nova Gorica
Phone: (+386) 5 335 98 11
Fax: (+386) 5 335 98 20
Main contact person: David Kožuh
Founded in 1919 and inaugurated at the legendary Le Bourget Paris airport in 1975, the French Air and Space Museum is one of the leading aviation museums in the world, both in age and in the richness of its collections: there are over 400 aircraft, all of them authentic.
Visitors can relive the whole aviation and space era, including:
• the beginnings of aviation with the original models of the very first flying machines;
• great air raids with the famous ‘Oiseau Canari’ and ‘Point d’Interrogation’;
• military aviation with aircraft from the French Air Force and the legendary ‘Warbirds’;
• the adventure of vertical flight, started in France just over a century ago;
• the heyday of commercial flights with two Concorde, including the first to have flown;
• a Boeing 747 that can be explored in detail, from the hold to the cockpit;
• the conquest of space with the Space Hall;
• the planetarium and the discovery of the universe.
Musée de l’air et de l’espace/Air and space museum
Aéroport de Paris – Le Bourget BP173
93352 Le Bourget Cedex
Phone: (+33) 1 49 92 70 00
Fax: (+33) 1 49 92 70 59
Main contact person: Laetitia Miraton
Museum of Recent History Celje
The mission of the Museum of Recent History Celje is to ensure the permanent and uninterrupted performance of the public service of preserving, exploring, presenting, exhibiting and popularising the mobile cultural heritage from the fields of history and ethnology from the beginning of the 20th century onwards. The museum, in compliance with the rules and goals of the museum profession, houses the mobile cultural heritage of Celje and the Celje region and presents it to the widest circle of the public. The field of activity connects the recent national and regional history and ethnology with modernity and actuality. This is the basis both for the collecting policy and museum collections as well as for other versatile popularisation activities and the museum’s offer. Special attention is given to younger visitors to the museum, who can take part in pedagogic programmes and activities.
The Celje Museum of Recent History, which has adopted a strategic document regarding its activity, is at the same time a scientific research centre and an education institution. By reviving museum items and their stories, the museum sheds light on the past, helps to understand the present and co-create the future. It is a place for discovering, learning, socialising and contemplating.
Museum of Recent History Celje
Prešernova ulica 17
Phone: (+386) 3 428 64 10
Fax: (+386) 3 428 64 11
Main contact person: Tanja Roženbergar
Musil – Museum of Industry and Labour of Brescia is dedicated to industry as a social fact and main force of Italy’s modernization. It includes the following centers:
– the Museum of Cinema and Cartoons of Rodengo Saiano, in Franciacorta, including also the open storage of the whole museum system;
– the Museum of the Hydroelectric power, in the Valle Camonica, in a huge power plant, symbol of the modernity of the 20th century;
– the Museum of Iron, located in an old forge in Brescia.
musil – Museum of Industry and Labour
Via Cairoli 9
Phone: (+39) 030 3750663
Fax: (+39) 030 2404554
Main contact person: René Capovin
National Liberation Museum Maribor
The National Liberation Museum began operating as an independent museum institute on 1st May 1958. Its origins date back to the year 1947, when a collection on the fight for national liberation was opened in the Regional Museum in Maribor. This was the first collection of its kind in a complex Slovene museum. On its foundation the concept of the content of the museum was precisely defined. It is a historical museum, which deals with the museological and historiographical treatment of modern history of northeastern Slovenia.
Today, along with interesting and rich museum collections, which already amount to more than 90 thousand museum artefacts, there is a very opulent museum photo-library, which keeps a large number of documented photographs and negatives, and also a good deal of video and audio material. In the museum a fund of industrial heritage is also growing. A speciality of the museum is its archive, which has more than 120 running metres of material from occupying enemy and Partisan sources. Following the donation of 1600 cameras and photographic equipment of Avgust and Maria Bohanec we also opened the Photographic Museum Maribor in 2013. The National Liberation Museum Maribor was also among one of the first museums in Slovenia to introduce the post of curator educator. With its diverse forms of work with visitors the work of the museum educator is still today one of the pillars of museum activities.
National Liberation Museum Maribor
Ulica heroja Tomšiča 5
Phone: (+386) 2 23 52 600
Main contact person: Dr. Aleksandra Berberih-Slana
National Museum of Natural History (Sofia)
The mission of NMNHS incorporates fundamental and applied studies, management and preservation of collections, promotion of natural-scientific knowledge through the exposition and popular literature, training of doctorate degree candidates, expert activities.
NMNHS is the only national institution directly engaged with the preservation of scientific collections of live and non-live nature. The study of biodiversity, environmental protection and the evolution of organisms are the museum’s major priorities. It develops the following scientific areas: taxonomy, faunistics, zoogeography and ecology; floristics; mineralogy. Some of the areas have priority as a result of which NMNHS has become the national centre of biospeleology, archaeozoology and palaeontology of vertebrates and of bat studies.
Museum activities for maintenance of the exposition and its enrichment and the processing of scientific collections are performed along with the scientific studies. With this NMNHS is pursuing its educational and promotional mission.
National Museum of Natural History
Tsar Osvoboditel 1
Phone: (+359) 2987 41 95
Fax: (+359) 2988 2894
Main contact person: Silvia Tosheva
Nomad Museum specialises in the design, production and management of engaging and experiential temporary, touring and permanent interpretive exhibitions for museums and cultural venues in Europe.
Phone: (+43) 676 7455013
Main contact person: Johanna Haigl
The Posavje Museum Brežice is located in The Castle Brežice, that has been built in 16th century. The museum has been part of the cultural heritage of the Posavje region ever since its opening in 1949. It keeps several permanent exhibitions: an archaeological collection, an ethnological collection, a collection on the peasants rebellion and the reformation, the exhibition Buerger – mestjan – meščan (The citizien), the exhibition under nine flags: Posavje 1900-1990. In the part on history of art of Alenka Gerlovič and the memorial collection of Franjo Stiplovšek. The museum presents different temporary exhibitions with a variety of programmes accompanying them.
The Posavje Museum Brežice
Cesta prvih borcev 1
Phone: (+386) 07 466 0517
Fax: (+386) 07 466 0516
Main contact person: Alenka Černelič Krošelj
The writing of Southwest Iberia is the oldest of the Iberian Peninsula and one of the oldest in Europe, possibly invented around the 8th century B.C. Therefore, this is probably one of the earliest writing systems in Europe. It is also a surprising phenomenon since it shows the influence of the eastern Mediterranean area, only explainable by an ancient Phoenician presence in the Western extreme of the Iberian Peninsula. However it is yet to be proved how the artefacts depicting this writing appear in places where the Phoenician influence is not so strong.
Besides, this writing system is yet to be fully decoded. This task is difficult to accomplish because there aren’t many examples and there is still a lot of research to be done.
The aim of Projecto Estela is both to the develop research on this matter and to promote different actions in order to disseminate all that concerns this type of writing system (such as conferences, educational activities and exhibitions, among others).
Projecto Estela also establishes partnerships with other cultural institutions.
Phone: (+351) 968995197
Main contact person: Dr. Pedro Barros
The Baroque manor in the old part of Radovljica houses the Apiculture Museum with a rich tradition of the Slovenian apiculture, which is famous for its well-known beekeepers, and the Town Museum with a permanent collection of life and work of Anton Tomaž Linhart, the Enlightenment historian and the first Slovenian dramatist (1756–1795) who originated from Radovljica.
The historical town centre of Radovljica includes the burger’s Šivec House – an important monument of the late Gothic architecture, with an art gallery, a permanent illustration collection and a wedding hall.
The Forging Museum in Kropa presents the historical development of technical iron handling, as well as social and cultural conditions in Kropa and its surroundings from the 15th to the 20th century. Close nearby visitors can learn how iron was forged in the so-called Vigenjc (the Forge).
Part of the Katzenstein Manor in Begunje, Gorenjska, where the Gestapo prisons were situated during the Nazi occupation, was reconstructed into the so-called Hostage Museum.
The Radovljica Municipality Museums/ Muzeji radovljiške občine
Linhartov trg 1
Phone: (+386) (0)4 5320 520
Fax: (+386) (0)4 5320 524
Main contact person: Verena Štekar-Vidic
Regional History Museum ‘Stoyu Shishkov’ (Smolyan)
We invite you to visit the largest museum in the Middle Rhodopes.
We offer to your attention the permanent exposition ‘Cultural and Historical Heritage of the Rhodope Region from Antiquity to Modern Times’ with over 1500 unique exhibits, included in two major divisions – ‘Archaeology’ and ‘Ethnography’. Temporary exhibitions are presented periodically.
Archaeological findings prove the early habitation of the mountain and follow the specific features of material and non-material heritage left behind by the local population since the end of Paleolithic till Late Middle Ages.
You will be enchanted forever by the wealth and uniqueness of the colours of the mountain and of the mastery of the Rhodopes craftsmen, while the cosmic chimes of the 100 sheep bells will fascinate you with the originality of their music.
A visit to the Regional History Museum ‘Stoyu Shishkov’- Smolyan is the easiest way for you to get acquainted with the millennial history of the Middle Rhodopes, preserved over the centuries into the present and well-kept for the future.
Established in 1935 by Stoyu Shishkov, the Museum of History in Smolyan is the biggest museum that preserves the signs of the memory of the people inhabiting the central part of the Rhodopes in different periods of history.
Regional History Museum ‘Stoyu Shishkov’
Dicho Petrov 3
Phone: (+359) (0) 301 6 27 70, (+359) (0) 301 6 57 53, (+359) (0) 301 6 27 27
Fax: (+359) (0) 301 6 27 70
Main contact person: Tanya Mareva
RICHES is a research project about change; about the decentring of culture and cultural heritage (CH) away from institutional structures towards the individual; about the questions which the advent of digital technologies is posing in relations to how we understand, collect and make available Europe’s CH. Though enormously rich, Europe’s CH is often locked away, or crumbling, or in a foreign language, or about a past which to many people seems of little relevance. But this is changing. As digital technologies permeate all of society, compelling us to rethink how we do everything, we ask questions: how can CH institutions renew themselves? How may the move from analogue to digital represent a shift from traditional hierarchies of CH to more decentred practices? How can the European citizen (alone or as part of a community) play a vital co-creative role? How can CH be a force in the new European economy?
Professor Neil Forbes
Coventry CV1 5FB
Phone: (+44) (0)797 498 4084
Main contact person: Neil Forbes
The first collections of the Maritime Museum of Piran were exhibited in the Civic Museum of Piran, which was established in 1954. The study of Slovene naval history and maritime tradition was one of the first activities of the newly founded museum. In 1967 the Civic Museum was renamed the Sergej Mašera Maritime Museum of Piran.
Sergej Mašera Maritime Museum
Cankarjevo nabrežje 3, p.p. 103
Phone: (+386) 5 671 00 40
Fax: (+386) 5 671 00 50
Main contact person: Franco Juri
The Slovene Ethnographic Museum is a museum ‘about people, for people’, a museum of cultural identities, a link between the past and the present, between traditional and modern culture, between our own and other cultures, between the natural environment and civilisation. It is a museum of dialogue, open, active and hospitable, dedicated to serving the public. It presents and reports on traditional culture as well as mass and pop culture in Slovenia and the diaspora, on non-European cultures, and on the material and intangible cultural heritage of both everyday and festive life.
Slovene Ethnographic Museum
Metelkova ulica 2
Phone: (+386) 1 30 08 700
Fax: (+386) 1 30 08 736
Main contact person: Tanja Roženbergar
Established in 1996 the Slovenian Cinematheque is the only Slovenian museum in the field of film and film heritage. It is a member of the International Federation of Film Archives (FIAF) and the Association des Cinematheques Européennes (ACE).
Slovenian Cinematheque/ Slovenska kinoteka
Phone: (+386) 1 43 42 510
Fax: (+386) 1 43 42 516
Main contact person: Ivan Nedoh
The Slovenian Museum of Natural History is a Slovenian national museum with natural history, scientific, and educational contents. It is the oldest cultural and scientific Slovenian institution. The museum features national, European, and world-wide collections demonstrating the changes in biodiversity, the development of the natural history thought, as well as different techniques of collection and preparation of samples. Its research activities focus on natural heritage of Slovenia. Permanent display: a geo-paleontological collection, the Zois collection of mineralogy, the Hohenwart collection of mollusca shells, herbarium collections, a collection of insects by Ferdinand J.Schmidt, a collection of insects in the starting stage, presentation of the human fish, an alpine, swampland and forest diorama, and an exhibition of birds, reptiles and fish.
Slovenian Museum of Natural History/Prirodoslovni muzej Slovenije
Phone:(+387) 1 241 09 40
Fax: (+387) 1 241 09 53
Main contact person: Dr. Breda Cinc Juhat
After being closed for more than 10 years, Kaufbeuren’s Stadtmuseum, founded in 1879, opened its doors on 7 June 2013 with a new permanent exhibition fully reflecting modern museum concepts and standards. With a strong focus on contemporary, target-group oriented communication, the museum aims to take centre stage in the regional museum landscape. Founded in 1879, the Kaufbeuren Stadtmuseum is one of the oldest local history museums in Bavarian Swabia. It showcases the historical and cultural heritage of the town and its surroundings from their beginnings to the present day. High quality collections on the local, folk and religious history of the area form the nucleus of the museum’s collection. In addition to these, the museum boasts a number of outstanding special collections, including a crucifix collection, Protestant reverse-glass paintings and the estate of author Ludwig Ganghofer.
Phone: (+49) 8341-966 83 90
Fax: (+49) 8341-966 83 967
Main contact person: Petra Weber
The Štore Ironworks Museum has been established relatively recently. The permanent exhibition features the development of Štore and surrounding settlements from late 19th century to present day. It focuses on mining and ironworks, two industries which strongly marked the area.
The museum maintains a part of this industrial cultural heritage in the form of documents, photographs, plans and various objects. The collection is chronologically and thematically arranged. Very diverse materials are presented: plans, photographic evidence of life in Štore, education, cultural and social life, and ironworks production from the beginning of the 20th century onwards. The collection also entails postcards, catalogues and the company’s documentation archive. With our museum activity, we are part of the “Slovenian Trail of Iron Culture”, which links several Slovenian museums connected to ironworks.
The Štore Ironworks Museum/ Železarski muzej Štore
Phone: (+386) 3 425 88 06
Fax: (+386) 3 425 88 08
Main contact person: Slavica Glavan
Targovishte Regional Historical Museum
Public concerns brought about the idea of establishing a museum in 1951. Since 1953 there has been a permanent museum exhibition, but the Regional History Museum of Targovishte starts functioning as an independent institution, studying and popularising the history of the region, in 1960. It is a museum of general history with five major departments: ‘Archaeology’, ‘Bulgarian history from the fifteenth to the nineteenth century’, ‘Modern and most recent history’, ‘Ethnography’ and ‘Fund’.It has unique collections of valuables that have participated in great national exhibitions all over the world. In the museum fund there are over 25 000 inventory entries of testemonies from different periods, from the Neolith to modern times. By far the most popular is the Kralevo gold treasure. Another topic of particular interest is the internationally famous annual spring-time fair of Eski Djumaya (Targovishte) – an important factor in the stock-exchange of the Ottoman Empire (during the National Revival period) and of the Principality of Bulgaria (after the Liberation).
Nowadays the museum offers three permanent exhibitions. The Archaeological exhibiton occupies the premises of the former ‘Hadji Rusi’ school. It revives Targovishte region’s prehistoric and medieval past with exhibits such as: the unique scene of cult from the end of the Neolith, found near the village of Ovcharovo, the idol figurine collections, the Thracian gold exhibits, gold tinsel fabric and epigraphic monuments. The Ethnographic exhibition is set in the quaint National-Revival-period house (built in 1863) of Hadji Angel, and presents the way of life, the customs and folklore beliefs of the local population (Christians – Hertsoi, Kappans, immigrants from the mountainous regions, Thracians and Shopps; Muslims – Turks and Allians); it shows an abundance of ethnic spirit and a fine artistic workmanship. Another house-museum – ‘Nicola Simov – Kuruto’ is dedicated to the famous standard-bearer of Botev’s revolutionary band.
Temporary exhibitions are set in the foyer of the old school ‘Sv. Sedmochislenitsi’ (1863) – a cultural monument of national significance.
Targovishte Regional Historical Museum
Mitropolit Andrey 2
Phone: (+359) 601/ 6 41 47; (+359) 601/ 6 52 16
Fax: (+359) 601/ 6 41 47
The Technical Museum is located in a former Carthusian monastery just 20 km from Ljubljana, the capital of Slovenia.
Several collections can be seen in the museum: from forestry, woodworking, hunting, fishing and agricultural departments, to textiles, printing, traffic and electrical engineering. The attention of most visitors is drawn towards the water-driven elements -the flour mill, blacksmith’s workshop, fulling mill and veneer sawmill. Road vehicle fans aren’t disappointed either. They can admire the oldest surviving car from Slovenia or enjoy the sight of the limousines that once belonged to President Tito, Premier of former Yugoslavia.
Apart from the guided tours visitors can also attend several workshops and demonstrations, through which they can truly experience the technical spirit of the past.
The Technical Museum of Slovenia has also three dislocated units: Museum of Post and Telecommunications in Polhov Gradec, some collections at Bogenšpertk castle and Soteska open-storage depot.
Technical Museum of Slovenia
Phone: (+386) (0)143 61 606
Fax: (+386) (0)143 61 606
Main contact person: Orest Jarh, Ph. D.
Toy Museum of Catalonia
The Toy Museum of Catalonia was inaugurated in 1982 in the premises of the former Hotel París onRambla de Figueres. The Museum’s exhibits include over 4.000 items: animated life forms, Meccano constructions, miniature theatre sets, cardboard animals and horses, etc. Many of these items are accompanied by old photographs of children with their toys, helping us to place them chronologically and see how children played with them. Some of the toys belong to personalities such as Anna Maria and Salvador Dalí, Federico García Lorca, Joan Miró and others. A visit of the collection can be seen in many ways: a nostalgic look back through the games our grandparents played, an observation visit, in which we follow the scientific and technical advances that have at any given time influenced and are still influenced by historical events and artistic movements.
The Toy Museum of Catalonia
Hotel París /Carrer de Sant Pere 1
Phone: (+34) 972 504585
Fax: (+34) 972 676428
Main contact person: Josep Maria Joan Rosa
In the last five years, the Typhlological Museum has created prerequisites for its affirmation, in accordance with the new museum tendencies, and with the intention to be to the benefit of the disabled people.
By defining our mission statement we have contributed in creating the concept of the museum and opening the permanent exhibition for which the Museum has received positive evaluations by different experts. Our efforts and the need to modernize the Museum were recognized and a financial support by the Ministry of Culture followed. A new permanent exhibition is being organized by joint efforts of all qualified personnel of the Museum as well as by selfless hard work of other employees. As the finalization of the adaptation and reconstruction of the Museum is in process, we have started working on the new exhibition for the public, the opening of which is scheduled for the end of 2007 – the European Year of Equal Opportunities for All.
The areas we are planning to specially develop in the future are: communication with the public, development of an evaluation system for the programmes and services provided by the museum, high-quality promotion activities, continuous education of our employees, establishment of a network of associates, thus ensuring a strong relation between the institution and its users as well as raising awareness about people with special needs and their importance for carrying out our programmes.
The Typhlological Museum is one of the rare special museums in Europe dealing with the problems of disabled persons, especially of the visually impaired. One of the ways out into the world is definitely this website, compatible with the new visual identity of the Museum. We plan to further perfect and enrich the webpage by creating a virtual museum, alongside the existing traditional one.
Typhlological Museum Zagreb/ Tiflološki muzej Zagreb
Phone: (+385) 1 4811 102
Fax: (+385) 1 4835 218
Main contact person: Željka Bosnar Salihagić
The Union of the Deaf in Bulgaria was established on July 12, 1934 with the aim of bringing together all the deaf people and to make a protection of their rights for work and decent life. With over 80-year history, the Union of the Deaf in Bulgaria is among the oldest non-governmental organizations in the country. Regular member of the World Federation of the Deaf, European Union of the Deaf, the International Committee of the quiet chess and the European Union of the Deaf youth. UDB funded the first in Bulgaria Center for early rehabilitation of deaf children up to 3 years of age, who has offices in Pleven, Varna, Haskovo, Stara Zagora. Currently has about 6500 deaf members of UDB, organized in 12 regional organizations of the Deaf in 12 cities. UDB has a long tradition in cultural activities, sports and tourism. From 1957 UDB develop their own business in 13 companies ‘Quiet work’ LTD.
UDB has informational directorate ‘Media and Public Relations’, in which included the print edition – newspaper ‘Silence’, the electronic version of the newspaper, VIDEO CENTER, official website and a page on the social network Facebook.
Union of the Deaf in Bulgaria
12-14 Ivan Denkoglu Str.
Phone: (+359) 2 981 98 07
Fax: (+359) 2 980 16 96
Main contact person: Nikolay Ninov
Danube University Krems – Center for Image Science
As repositories of knowledge and instruments of communication the importance of image media continues to grow in our globalized society. Images from both networks of societal cohesion and have the power to ignite political and religious passions. Images create values and are a core resource for elaborating and communicating new scientific theories. Today the dynamics of the media revolution is redefining many issues that image science engages with. In almost every field practical and theoretical knowledge about how images originate, function, are exploited, their history and their effects is an essential prerequisite for acquiring image competence in the digital age.
Center for Image Science
Phone: (+43) (0)2732 893-2543
Fax: (+43) (0)2732 893-4551
Main contact person: Wendy Jo Coones, M.Ed.
University of Applied Sciences and Arts Northwestern Switzerland
Academy of Art and Design
Institute for Interior Design and Scenography
The innovative debate with space is at the center of the training at the institute: the exploration and the design of the room which reaches from the plastic appearance and design of furniture and interior rooms through the design of exhibits and scenographic staging through the city or landscape spaces. Correspondingly IN3 stands for a multi-disciplinary course of studies, which includes the areas of architecture, furniture in a spatial context, scenography, performance, installation and event.
University of Applied Sciences and Arts Northwestern Switzerland
Phone: (+41) 61 228 40 55
Fax: (+41) 61 228 42 78
Main contact person: Prof. Andreas Wenger
Contemporary Arts & Cultural Production
The ULG MA in Cultural Productionis a 2.5 year program for further education (90 ECTSs) and is held in English. It is open to domestic and international students. The program is part-time and consists of five semesters. Each semester has two blocked sessions that are held in Salzburg. The trans-disciplinary curriculum lies at the intersections of art practice, cultural and communication studies, and a social science approach to economics. Cluster topics in relation to Space & Location, Vision & Change and Networks & Decentralisation allow for specialisation in one of the core areas of cultural production. According to their personal interests, students will propose their own project ideas that will be further developed and implemented in their contextual complexity throughout the course of the program.
The ULG MA program also includes a three-week internship, individual coaching and a Master thesis.
Phone:(+43) ((0)662) 8044 – 2382
Main contact person: Mag.a Siglinde Lang